Diving and Reef Information
- Dive planning – provisional dive bookings can be made throughout the day at the Activities counter up until dive planning at 6:45pm were he/she will need to confirm the dive times with the beach controller at the dive planning board. Making a provisional booking is advised especially during the high season when we are extremely busy. All provisional bookings are subject to change.
- Dive equipment can be arranged at dive planning, hired from the reception and collected at the gear room on the morning of the dive. The gear room is open from 6am . A member of staff will assist you with your sizes, weight requirements etc. Dive equipment will be signed out under your name and it is your responsibility to ensure its safekeeping during your stay. All equipment is individually numbered for your identification. You are liable for replacement gear at current rates. Gear will only be hired out if a deposit of a driver licence, passport, ID book or fire arm licence are handed in at reception . This will be returned once all gear has been signed back to the gear room.
- All the dives conducted at Sodwana Bay are drift dives. A predominant current that flows from north to south is noticeable. Depending on the strength of this current, more than one dive site may be covered. Occasionally a reverse current develops. The Divemasters that lead the dives will choose the best dive sites according to the conditions to ensure a comfortable dive. Reef information is available.
- Divers must kit up and check their equipment during the 30 minute period before their launch. Cylinders will be on the beach at the Coral Divers gazebo. The beach controller co-ordinates the launches and dives of the day and will inform you of the procedures to follow. Your Divemaster is also there to assist you and will brief the group with regards to diving with Coral Divers before setting out.
- Coral Divers uses 7.2 meter (21 foot) semi-rigid inflatables with twin outboard motors. They carry a maximum of 11 divers including the Divemaster and have sufficient space for cameras and video equipment. Divers are to kit up in their wetsuits and assemble their gear before the boat launches. The equipment will then be secured into the boat, which is then pushed off the sand into the water by the divers. From here the skipper navigates his way through the breakers to the respective dive site. When the diver's surface, the skipper will pick them up and once all are onboard, return them to shore. Medical oxygen is available on all the boats and under the Coral Divers gazebo for emergencies.
- Freelance beach assistance can be hired at our gazebo on the beach to carry and wash your equipment. They are experienced in kitting up, reliable and trustworthy. A fee of around R10 per dive is normal for good service.
- Dive excesses are charged for the further reefs (5, 7, 8 and 9 miles reefs) over and above the ‘2 mile' reef price. Excesses are charged per person per dive.
- All dive prices include air fills.
- Dive credits will be given for the remaining dives to individuals that were unable to complete their 5 dive package. These credits are non-refundable, non transferable and valid for 1 year. We have no control over the weather and if we are unable to launch dive credits will be given.
- The Coral Divers Beach Shop is located near the air filling stations on the main beach. It has a gear hire facility and a range of diving equipment and accessories for sale. Get to know your fish and purchase a fish book. Clothing, cold drinks, tea and coffee are also available. The beach shop is open from 7am to 3.30pm daily.
Dive excesses are charged for the further reefs over and above the ‘2 mile’ reef price.
The ‘5 mile’ reef area (including Hot spot, Ribbon and Pothole) is R25.00.
The ‘7 mile’ reef area (including Northern wall, Amphitheatre, Mushroom rocks and Ramsey’s) is R40.00.
The '8 mile' reef area (Including Ramsey's) is R45.00
The ‘9 mile’ reef area (including Green tree and Breaking waters) is R50.00.
Excesses are charged per person per dive.
All dive prices include air fills.
A 5 dive package cannot be converted into individual dives nor shared.